Have you or someone you know been in an automobile accident?
Winter driving has been particularly treacherous and we want to ensure that you, your family and friends have the information you need in the event you are involved in a car accident.
Remember, serious injury can take place at as little as 5 mph.
Here are some answers to common questions:
What doctor do I see?
- Chiropractic treatment is the standard of care for automobile accidents.
- You do not need a referral from an MD. (Always seek immediate emergency care as necessary.)
- Auto injury medical massage may be prescribed by your chiropractor, is covered by auto insurance (PIP), and is offered at B-Line Clinic.
Who should get an exam and assessment?
- The driver
- All passengers
- Please do not overlook exams and assessments for infants, children, and teens. They are more likely to suffer silently as they are not as able to express or articulate symptoms and injury.
- Automobile Insurance covers 100% of your treatment with no copay or deductible.
- Oregon law requires a minimum of $15,000 personal injury protection (PIP) for all licensed drivers and passengers, regardless of fault.
Your post accident chiropractic exam, assessment and treatments are 100% covered, as is auto injury medical massage.
When should I see my chiropractor?
- Whether or not you or your passengers feel symptoms of pain or injury immediately, it is critical to be assessed by a chiropractor within 48 hours.
- The more time that passes the more likely an insurance company can deny your claim, that you will have out of pocket expenses, and that you will need an attorney.
- It is not uncommon for pain and symptoms to arise weeks after an accident, immediate treatment prevents underlying injuries from rapidly progressing.
- Getting an initial exam will protect you in the future should complications arise and prevents an insurance company from questioning whether the accident was the cause of your pain and injuries.
What injuries and symptoms can occur immediately or days and weeks later?
- Pain, soreness, tenderness and stiffness in: head, face, jaw, neck, back, shoulders, ribs, elbows, wrists, hips, knees, ankles, hands
- Headache, muscle spasm, nerve pain, fatigue, dizziness, numbness, tingling sensations, inability to focus, mental/brain fog, insomnia
Whiplash, fractures, joint damage, nerve damage, rib and chest damage, disc tears, bulges, and herniation, muscle and tendon tears and strains, and cartilage tears
Top Mistakes and Myths regarding automobile accidents:
- Only getting checked out in the Emergency Room.
-ER doctors are limited in their scope of practice and in their time allotted per patient. Getting a pain killer or quick assessment is woefully inadequate.
- Downplaying your symptoms.
-Do not minimize, guess or underreport your symptoms or injuries, particularly to a representative from an insurance company. This can be recorded and used against you. Get checked by your chiropractor rather than guessing.
- Damage to a car is related to damage to your body
-Research has shown this is not true! The damage to a car, visually and/or financially, cannot be correlated to the amount of damage to your body.
- Settling with an insurance company.
- You don’t have to settle without a competent, independent medical opinion. This could leave you without coverage to cope with the pain and medical costs of your treatments for years. Remember, Oregon law requires a minimum of $15,000 personal injury protection (PIP) for all licensed drivers and passengers.
Dr. Lieberknecht & Dr. Ekblad provide effective and painless chiropractic care for your painful injuries.
Again, your chiropractic and clinical massage therapy treatments are covered at 100% by your automobile insurance carrier for a minimum of $15,000 per person involved. This means that there is no out of pocket expense or costs to you and we will gladly do the insurance billing for you.
We look forward to serving you, your families and friends.